Field Forward is a living and relocation stipend—offered to select candidates in addition to the paid internship—that supports students who identify as traditionally underrepresented in cultural arts careers and students with demonstrated financial need. Field Forward’s goals are to encourage diverse student engagement with the Museum and the broader museum field and to promote educational and professional experience and training to students historically underrepresented in museum and other cultural arts professions. Students must submit an additional application and demonstrate financial need (if applicable) to be considered.
The Field Forward application is live during the same application window as internship applications. View “How to Apply” for further instructions, application deadlines, and other important dates.
Field Forward Application Requirements:
- The online Museum application package for the preferred internship
- The Field Forward application
- A letter of recommendation. We prefer that letters of recommendation are uploaded to the online Field Forward application. If you are unable to do so, you or your reference may email your letter of recommendation to email@example.com.
- Additional – Financial Need: Undergraduate intern candidates will demonstrate financial need by completing a Student Financial Aid Profile, signed by their college’s financial aid office, and by explaining demonstrated need in their Field Forward application. Graduate intern candidates will demonstrate financial need by explaining demonstrated need in their Field Forward application. Undergraduates: Please follow the instructions in the Student Financial Aid Profile and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field Forward FAQs
Field Forward is designed and intended for currently enrolled, credit-seeking, and/or degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students who identify as traditionally underrepresented in cultural arts careers and those with demonstrated financial need. Students must submit an additional application and demonstrate financial need (if applicable) to be considered.
Awards are determined through a collaborative review process between the Museum’s Human Resources and Internship offices.
Same as the time requirements for paid internships: a maximum commitment of 25 hours per week for 12 weeks.
The Field Forward stipend consists of a $2,100 living stipend and a one-time relocation stipend (up to $400 dollars) for interns relocating from more than 100 miles.
A staff member from the Internship office will indicate if you have been awarded a Field Forward stipend when you are offered an internship position. Notifications will be sent via email.
- Describe how you identify with your selected Field Forward group/s (students from communities underrepresented in the cultural arts sector and/or students with demonstrated financial need). (200-500 words)
- Would you like to be considered for travel reimbursement? From what city and state are you relocating to Nashville, Tennessee, for this internship? Only Field Forward candidates relocating to Nashville, Tennessee, (from 100 miles or more) are eligible for a one-time travel reimbursement (up to $400); receipts for allowable expenses must be submitted.
Recommendations must come from a professional reference (e.g., professor, employer, etc.). References should speak to the applicant’s academic and/or work history, as well as to how the specific internship position will support the applicant’s professional and educational aspirations.
How do I submit letters of recommendation?
We prefer that letters of recommendation are uploaded to the online Field Forward application. If you are unable to do so, you or your reference may email your letter of recommendation to email@example.com.
Field Forward applicants who currently reside at least 100 miles from Nashville and must relocate to Nashville for the duration of their internship should indicate that they would like to be considered for travel reimbursement (up to $400) on their Field Forward application.
If awarded travel reimbursement, the intern will submit receipts for expenses. Allowable expenses include hotel, flight, bus fare, and gas. Expenses that are not permitted include food, alcohol, and blank mileage.
Yes, the Field Forward stipend is considered taxable income; taxes will be withheld from the stipend payments. Stipend payments will be made via direct deposit to your designated bank account and reflected on your bi-weekly pay stub.
For additional information, contact the Internship office at firstname.lastname@example.org.